Saturday, February 28, 2009

The importance of writing in Science

Nobody ever told me that writing skill is so important for a researcher. But now I know. Writing has become a big part of my work. Yesterday, I was struck in front of the computer for hours just composing emails, editing my CV and re-drafting travel grant essay. This weekend I have to review my proposal for NSF application which starts next week

It’s natural to expect most of us are not gifted in writing (Otherwise, we would have become writers!). Poor writing skills can be a barrier limiting the entry of students into independent research paths or limiting their ability to complete their thesis, said a group of UCSC researchers.

The graduate students generally are responsible for their own development in writing ability. Luc Van Dyck, executive coordinator of the European Life Sciences Forum thinks that grant writing training remains mostly a business between supervisor and the students. Another researcher, Olof Akre said that students should involve in grant applications early and often. The graduate students have to take their own initiatives to attend workshop besides seeking guidance from experienced researchers and peers.

The internet is undoubtedly the most reliable source of information. There are many websites that can show you good tips in writing grant proposal. It’s easy to find examples of winning proposal or travel grant essays.

Here’s a piece of advice I wrote:

Start early in your writing,
Plan ahead before submitting,
At the end of this wanting,
Money could be waiting!

4 comments:

Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

wow.. what you say struck me.. i know that it is important to have good writing skills, but i never started on any thing that can improve my writing.. hmm, maybe i should also write my own blog someday.. just wish have the motivation to start it.. anyway, our on coming zoonosis trip is to Nangga Merit ( the heart of Sarawak's part of Borneo) where around 50 personnel involved.. there's a lot of work n preparation need to be done but i'm really looking forward for the trip.. got to take malaria pills n vaccine for rabbies.. I'll be working as coordinator, avian sampling, and photographer.. what more can I ask from a job.. and they paid me for doing something I love..wohoo

Melissa Wong March 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

Sigh... I always wanted to join sample collection expedition but the trip usually last for one week. Plus, I don't have any excuse to go because the species I study cannot be found in Malaysia natural forest.

Anonymous March 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM  

oh, what species is that? hehe, i have just open up my first blog (borneanzoologist.wordpress.com).. but its still empty for now.. I'll try to post something later and i'll announce it on friendster and facebook.

Melissa Wong March 14, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

Acacia mangium & A.auriculliformis

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP