Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The danger of science blogging

Last week, a heated discussion started when Daniel MacArthur from Genetic Future blogged about Cold Spring Harbor Biology Genome meeting in New York. CSHL complained that he didn’t obtain permission to do that. As a conference participants, he doesn’t have to sign agreement like other science journalists. Daniel MacArthur was attacked by several websites. Many bloggers have given him supports including Anthony Fejes who wrote a long post on the right of science blogging.

It has become common that bloggers report the content and discussion from conferences or meetings. This can benefit people who can’t attend the conference/meeting, especially this part of the world. In fact, an article from Nature is encouraging more scientists to blog.

After following the news for awhile, I can’t help but compare the scenario in Malaysia. The idea of science blogging is very new in Malaysia. Most people own Friendster, Facebook and personal blogs but not to promote science knowledge. I think that the reason behind it is that most of us don't like to speak out. Or we’re too afraid to. Look at the Q&A sessions during conference, meeting and seminar, the audiences are always so shy to ask anything. Same goes to our undergrads during lectures. We are afraid to speak out and discuss. We are having the common 3S problem during conference: Smile, Sleep & Silent.

When I started the blogging, I wasn’t sure if I did the right thing. First of all, I need to think twice before writing anything. Sometimes, I will be afraid to talk too much and get into troubles that can be avoided. Therefore, I always prepare a draft for all my posts and check all the facts online before posting.

I believe that science blogging should be regulated NOT restricted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP