Thursday, August 13, 2009

My AH1N1 false alarm

AH1N1 has been around for a few months. There are over 2000 cases in Malaysia with 43 fatal cases. Some people take it for granted and some are really paranoid. And I fall in the middle category: always keep myself up to date and living my normal life. Some of the schools and universities were closed for a short period of time. I wonder when will UKM suffer the same fate. Please don't let it happen before I finish my work!

I was sick 2 weeks ago. One morning I woke up with fever and an infected throat. A few days before that, I met a few overseas friends, took the ktm and went to several public places. I'm at high risk of being infected by AH1N1. The two questions playing in my mind were: should I go to lab or see a doctor straight away. I'm too busy to be ill but I didn't want to put anyone else at risk. In the end, I dragged myself to the clinic. To my relief, the doctor concluded I have normal fever and assured me there's nothing to worry about. He then gave me a surgical mask (it's orange!) and taught me how to use it. Can you imagine my shock when I found out that I've been wearing it wrongly all this time!

When my fever was gone the next day, I went back to lab and joked about how I was overreacting. A week later, I get a text message from a friend. Asking if I have AH1N1 (in indirect manner) because my friend was having fever. Now I know I'm not the only person overreacting. :p

I noticed more and more people are wearing surgical masks in public places. I think it funny since that type of mask won't protect you from the virus. The doctor's advice is to wear mask if you have coughs. The best way to reduce your risk is to travel less. Speaking of traveling, I'm going to travel a lot starting october. And I won't let AH1N1 stop me from enjoying the much anticipated time of my life. :D

On wednesday, I attended an eminent speaker lecture on AH1N1 research organized by MGRC. It's an very interesting talk. Stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP