Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Some recent thoughts (July 09)

Wow... I can't believe that I haven't posted anything for the past two weeks. Have been spending my weekends with friends and family. That explains why I don't have time to write a nice review.

Two weeks ago, I attended a nice talk on how to succeed in your research. Although I have heard most of the things, it's good being reminded again and get motivated. I also learn a great deal more from the experienced speaker. I weren't sure if this will be enough for a post. A few days after that, Fejes.ca wrote a similar post about What I Wish People Had Told Me When I Started Graduate Studies. What a coincident! I guess topic like this is never late.

I'm currently reading a book entitled "Who wants to become a scientist?" by Nancy Rothwell. It's recommended by a friend/mentor. I have found lots of good pointers after a few pages. Hope to finish the book real soon because I have to return it back to my friend. Sigh... if only PTSL has the book.

Recently, I have this heavy feeling sink in my heart when someone ask me how is my progress. To tell the truth, it's not going at the pace I want. Just waiting... wanting... ranting. After reading the book, I realized this is a common problem among young researchers. When we were undergrads, our projects are small and easy to achieve in the given time frame. As we take on a larger projects for several years, we face many problems like not getting results for a long period of time. We are discouraged because something that used to be so enjoyable turned out to be so frustrating. This is something that I wish people would have warn me about and offer solutions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP